Ep. 25 | When Marketers Should Consider a Digital Asset Management Tool with Cathy McPhillips
In this episode of the Rethink Podcast, Karrie Sundbom interviews Cathy McPhillips from the Content Marketing Institute about when marketers should consider adopting a digital asset management tool.
Cathy is Vice President of Marketing at Content Marketing Institute where she leads marketing efforts for CMI, Content Marketing World, Intelligent Content Conference, CMI University, CCO magazine, and other CMI properties. Cathy is also a board member for The Orange Effect Foundation. You can follow her on Twitter @cmcphillips.
What is a digital asset management, or DAM, tool? It helps you organize, catalog, track and maintain your content assets, whether those are customer-facing eBooks, datasheets or videos, or the assets you use to build that content such as your brand logos or stock imagery. A DAM software platform enables you to search for and access those files using some agreed upon taxonomy.
Karrie, Act-On’s Senior Manager for Content, and Cathy have both been working on organizing and migrating their respective content libraries into DAMs over the last year or so and they share some tips they’ve learned along the way.
Are you ready for a DAM? Listen to the show to find out.
Enjoy the conversation, and we hope you can get one or two takeaways that you can bring to your business.
Discussed in the show:
- What is Digital Asset Management?
- What is its history?
- Is it the same or different from a content library or a sales enablement tool that manages content assets?
- Any idea on how companies manage the content and other assets they produce? What is the status quo?
- How does managing content growth become a problem for organizations?
- When do you know it’s time to move to a more formal process?
- How can a DAM or similar tool be used throughout the organization? Sales? Content Marketing? Brand? Customer Marketing?
- Who should be involved in selecting a DAM?
- What is the business case for adopting a DAM?
- What can marketers, who aren’t yet ready for a DAM, do to prepare for when they do need a DAM?
- What are some best practices for when you do choose a DAM and bring it online?