Ep. 89 | Is Technology and the Internet of Things (IoT) Turning Us All Into Cyborgs?
In this episode, we chat with Amber Case about whether technology and the Internet of Things (IoT) are making our lives easier or more complicated. Amber is a cyborg anthropologist and advocate of calm technology, which she describes as technology that gets out of your way and lets you live your life.
It’s not lost on me that most of you are listening to this on your smartphones. Or that I am promoting the episode in a video on LinkedIn. Or that Act-On is the market leader in adaptive marketing technology.
We talk about all of that and what marketers should be thinking about when we consume or promote technology.
Enjoy the conversation, and we hope you can get one or two takeaways that you can bring to your business.
- Can you tell me more about yourself, what you do, and a snapshot of what’s led you to where you are today?
- What is a cyborg anthropologist?
- You do a lot of travelling and speaking. How many miles did you travel last year, and what have you been speaking about?
- You recently gave a keynote presentation at a developer conference in Sweden in which the title of your presentation was AI and the future of computing, are we all cyborgs now? Are we all cyborgs? What are some good and bad ways AI has entered our daily lives?
- Maybe your main point, my guess is, is that we question whether technology is making our lives easier or more complicated. Is that correct? Can you expand on that?
- In the marketing technology space, we have seen an explosion of companies offering one type of solution or another. In 2011, there were about 150 companies in the space. Last year, that number was close to 5,000 with more emerging every day offering something in AI, Machine Learning, etc. Is this good, bad, ugly? What are your thoughts?
- What should marketers be thinking about with regards to their roles in promoting all these new technologies?
- Can you tell us more about the idea behind Calm Technology?
- What can marketers learn from your research?
- How should someone learn more about you, and Calm Technology?