Ask any sales professional and they’ll tell you the same thing: sales has changed dramatically over the past 10 to 20 years. One of the biggest changes is that leads are coming into the sales pipeline that are better educated and further along in the sales process. The good news is that some of these leads coming into the sales pipelines are already qualified, however this change also require sales professionals to look at selling a little differently.
In a recent episode of Mad Marketing TV, Colleen Francis, President of Engage Selling discussed what sales managers can do to help their sales team be more effective.
Improving Sales Results
When it comes to improving sales results, Colleen recommends that organizations measure their actions and demonstrate their expertise:
- Make sure you know where your leads are coming from so that you can manage your activities properly.
Sales leaders need to make sure that they’re tracking and measuring the correct information about sales leads so they can determine where the sales team should be spending their time.
- Don’t just build relationships, demonstrate your expertise.
Potential leads want to know that your organization has is an expert in whatever you’re selling. Look for ways to build trust by showing them that you can help solve their pain points.
- Pay attention to benchmarks to help determine success.
There are certain sales benchmarks that we can count on today. Are you tracking ahead or behind those numbers?
3 Things for Sales Managers to Consider: People, Process and Value
When it comes to creating a sales culture that works, sales managers play a special role. Colleen encourages sales mangers look at people, process and value:
- Do you have the right people on your team? Decide what are the specific activities you need your sales people to do, and hire based on who can fulfill those needs.
- Make sure that your team is following a well-define sales process or sales model. Is your team doing things to not only place people into the pipeline, but also to move prospects along?
- Look for ways to transform your sales team from transactional to solution-based selling. Make sure you’re asking, how are we adding value for our customers? This is how you can achieve true sales dominance.
How has your organizations’ sales process changed over the last 10 years? Has technology helped simplify the process or made it more complicated? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
Mad MarketingTV is sponsored by Act-On Software.